Liverpool to recall Rhys Williams from Swansea loan as Reds prepare for defender transfer

0

The centre-half has featured just seven times for the Championship side in what has been a frustrating loan spell for a player who broke into the Reds’ first team last season.

Video loading

Video unavailable

Jurgen Klopp assesses the title race

Liverpool are set to end Rhys Williams’ loan spell at Swansea prematurely after the defender suffered a lack of playing time.

Williams was loaned to the Swans in August, with the intention of getting regular action given the return to form of a number of first-choice centre-halves at his parent club, as well as the arrival of ‘Ibrahima Konate.

But the temporary stay in Wales was nothing short of a disaster.

The 20-year-old has only featured seven times, starting just four league games.

Speaking last week about Williams’ struggles to hold on to a regular berth, Swansea boss Russell Martin said: “We’ve been very honest with Liverpool about the opportunities Rhys has had and the potential opportunities he’s had. has to move forward, so the ball is in their search.

“We can’t send him back… That’s the danger of making loans. The parent club is still in control, to some extent. I think Rhys is in constant contact with them about what’s going on.

Can Williams eventually become first-choice at Liverpool? Let us know in the comments






Rhys Williams has made just seven appearances for Swansea City

“I think the frustrating thing for Rhys is he’s really happy here, he likes training, he feels he’s improved, but the only disappointing thing for him is he’s had limited opportunities. .

“He wanted to play more and I’m pretty sure Liverpool feel the same, so we’ll have to see what happens with that one, but it’s up to them.”

Now Reds boss Jurgen Klopp is ready to end the arrangement and he believes Williams would be better served as a first-team substitute.






Swansea City manager Russell Martin says the ball is in Liverpool’s court over Williams’ future

Williams, who signed a new long-term contract in the summer, came to prominence last season when Liverpool suffered an injury crisis in midfield. Talisman Virgil van Dijk and fellow defenders Joe Gomez and Joel Matip have all missed parts of the campaign.

It thrust Williams and Nat Phillips into the limelight, with the pair making a total of 39 first-team appearances – but both have fallen down the pecking order this term.

Now, Goal report that Phillips could be heading for the Anfield exit door in his quest for regular action.

Watford are reportedly interested in the 24-year-old, who has been limited to just three outings this season and only recently returned to training after suffering a broken cheekbone.






Nat Phillips has played just three cup games for the Reds this season

West Ham and Burnley are other top teams linked with a move for Phillips before the transfer window closes on January 31.

Two offers have already been turned down for the runaway defender, with Liverpool holding out for a sum closer to his £15m valuation.

Speaking about his future in December, Phillips said sky sports “I want to play games. It’s been tough because the competition to get into this team is fierce.

“I’ll see what happens (in January) and go from there.

“I think at the moment I’m unlikely to play a lot of games for Liverpool, so if an opportunity arises where I have the chance to do it somewhere else and it suits everyone, then it’s is definitely something that I would be interested in.”

Read more

Read more

Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.