DWP Universal Credit payments of up to £596 a month available to thousands of Scots


New research from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) has found that the unemployment rate in Scotland for people over the age of 16 between November 2021 and January 2022 was 3.8%, down 0.3% compared to the last quarter.

For those aged 16 to 64, the employment rate was 74.5%, down 0.1% from the previous quarter.

As the Daily Record reports, 2.55 million people in Scotland aged 16 to 64 were working between November and January.

READ MORE – Glasgow weekend weather: Temperatures will soar even higher as Met Office updates forecast

According to the New Economics Foundation, more than 1.3 million working people could be deprived of Universal Credit which could total up to £7,300 a year.

The number of people in the UK who are now eligible to receive the benefit has skyrocketed due to a rule change which was unveiled in the Autumn Budget and introduced by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP ) last November.

Money.co.uk personal finance editor James Andrews said: “In November Rishi Sunak cut the Universal Credit cut rate, the mechanism that reduces or removes your benefits as your income rises . As a result, thousands of people who previously earned too much to qualify for benefits are now eligible. »

He added: ‘To be exact, the taper relief has been changed so that instead of losing 63p in benefit for every extra pound gained, you now only lose 55p. This means you can earn hundreds of dollars more before your benefits are reduced to £0.

“On top of that, Working Allowance – which is how much you can earn before the sliding scale applies – has increased by £500 a year. Under the new rules, a single parent with two children and rental bills of £750 could earn up to £52,000 a year and still qualify, up from £44,500 previously.

As a result of the adjusted rules, people can now earn more money per month without losing any of their benefits, and will lose less money than they earn beyond working allowance.

Andrews continued, “With millions of people seeing their essential bills go up, the Universal Credit rule changes shouldn’t be ignored as a way to get some extra cash to help make ends meet.”

There are a range of online benefit tools that can help you determine if you qualify for additional financial assistance.

These calculators are unbiased and confidential and will likely let you know whether to make a claim in just a few minutes.

If you are eligible for cash, monthly payments will range from £344 to £596.58, depending on your personal circumstances, for example if you have children or have a disability or condition health.

A single payment is made to your bank account every two weeks.

For more information on Universal Credit and how it works, see money.co.uk’s full guide here.

What you need to know about Universal Credit

People re-applying may not be eligible to receive the maximum amount, but they may be eligible for certain things such as a council tax reduction – as well as help with paying rent.

People with low incomes can supplement their salary with the benefit.

Previously, low-income people could claim working tax credits, but this is being phased out, with more claimants switching to universal credit.

Get all the latest Glasgow news and headlines straight to your inbox twice a day by signing up to our free newsletter.

From breaking news to breaking news on the coronavirus crisis in Scotland, we’ve got you covered.

The morning newsletter arrives before 9 a.m. daily and the evening newsletter, hand-curated by the team, is sent between 4 and 5 p.m., giving you an overview of the most important stories we covered that day.

To register, simply enter your email address in this link here.

How to Claim Universal Credit

The UK government states that a person may be able to obtain Universal Credit if:

  • You are on low income or unemployed

  • You are 18 or older (there are some exceptions if you are between 16 and 17)

  • You have not reached the legal retirement age (or your partner is)

  • You and your partner have £16,000 or less in savings between you

  • You live in the UK

If you live with your partner, their income and savings will be taken into account, even if they are not eligible for Universal Credit.

It should be noted that you will not be eligible for any of the means-tested benefits if your capital and savings exceed the £16,000 limit.

These include:

However, your savings and capital (or your partner’s savings, capital and income) are not taken into account when applying for Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) “new style” and this benefit particular can be obtained at the same time as Universal Credit – or on its own.

The JSA “New Style” is a contribution-based benefit. This means that you may be able to get it if you have paid enough National Insurance (NI) contributions in the two full tax years preceding the year of your application.

It is paid fortnightly and if you qualify you can get a ‘New Style’ JSA for up to 182 days.

If you qualify for both New Style JSA and Universal Credit, any New Style JSA you receive will count as income for Universal Credit.

To apply for Universal Credit, visit the gov.uk website here.

Universal Credit through April 2022 (monthly rates shown)

Standard allowance



  • Joint applicants under 25: £403.93

  • Joint applicants, one or both aged 25 or over: £509.91

What if you have a job?

There is no cap on the number of hours you can work while claiming Universal Credit, but only those on a low income are eligible for the benefit.

The money an applicant receives depends on how much he earns, the lower the more a person earns.

For every pound a claimant earns in work, the amount they receive through the benefit is reduced by 55 pence, with the aim that their payments are gradually reduced until they are fully financially independent.

This does not include those eligible for work allowance who are responsible for a child and those whose ability to work is affected by a disability or health condition.

These people will be allowed to earn up to a set limit without their benefits being affected.

The fixed amount is £335 per month for those who already receive additional support for housing costs and £557 per month for those who do not.

After these limits, the £1 to 55 pence rule will apply.

Housing costs

You may be able to get money to help pay for your housing costs. The amount you receive depends on your age and situation, but the payment may cover rent and some service charges.

If you are a homeowner, you may be able to get a loan to help pay the interest on your mortgage or other loans you have taken out for your home.

What documents do you need to apply for universal credit

You will need:

  • Contact details for your bank, building society or credit union

  • An email address

  • Information about your accommodation, for example how much rent you pay

  • Details of your income, for example payslips

  • Details of savings and any investments, such as shares or property you rent

  • Details of how much you pay for childcare if you are applying for childcare cost support

If you don’t provide the correct information when you apply, it may affect when you get paid or how much you receive.

Verification of your online identity

You will need an ID for this, for example your:

  • Driver’s license

  • Passport

  • Debit or credit card

To apply for Universal Credit, visit the gov.uk website here

Benefit calculators

You can also use an independent benefit calculator to find out:

These calculators are free, anonymous, and may indicate benefits you are missing.

Where to find help

Scotland Direct Council

This new online tool is the first to fully integrate decentralized benefits, including the new Scottish Child Payment.

It provides a free and impartial assessment of entitlement to a range of benefits such as Universal Credit, Crisis Grants and Support Payments.


Information about income-related benefits, tax credits, council tax reduction, care allowance, universal credit and how your benefits will be affected if you start working or change your working hours. work

Policy in practice

Information on income-related benefits, tax credits, contribution-based benefits, council tax reduction, care allowance, universal credit, how they are calculated and how your benefits will be affected if you start working or change your working hours

right to

Information about income-related benefits, tax credits, contribution-based benefits, council tax reduction, care allowance, universal credit and how your benefits will be affected if you start to work

What you are going to need

You will need specific information about your:

  • Savings

  • Income, including that of your partner

  • Existing benefits and pensions (including anyone living with you)

  • Expenses (such as rent, mortgage, childcare costs)

  • Housing tax bill


About Author

Comments are closed.